Click here to download the PDF file.
Do you need extra support, consulting or simply want to develop that special project? Make it hassle-free and Contact us.
Blendy Dome VJ Tutorials on our Youtube Channel soon.
FREQUENT ASKED QUESTIONS
You will need an external software that supports Syphon technology to play back your content. Set the Syphon resolution to the same resolution as your media. On Blendy Dome VJ, select the Syphon source on the SOURCE tab. We recommend the following software:
Use the software above to mix your clips LIVE, or simply playback your domemaster (1:1) or 360 Panorama (2:1) videos.
- Make sure you have all the recommended clip size and codec for all your videos.
- Make sure you have enough RAM memory.
- Play back your file from an SSD drive (preferably the internal drive of your computer).
- Shut down all programs running not being used.
- Put Blendy Dome VJ in live mode (LOCK)
- Check that your configuration matches the recommended one.
- Verify the codec you are using is the most suitable for your playback software.
- Run the file from an SSD drive.
- If none of the above works, buy a new computer.
Setup & Config
- MacBook Pro Retina, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, NVidia or ATI graphics card.
- Blendy Dome VJ is NOT compatible with Iris (Intel) graphics card!
- Matrox TripleHead2Go! DP Edition with VGA, HDMI or DVI adapters.
- Your system should preferably be MacOS 10.10.
- MacPro 6 to 12 core, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, AMD Fire D700 graphics card.
- Datapath FX4 or X4 configured for 4K input resolution
- Your system should preferably be MacOS 11.00.
When you design a high resolution fulldome system you have to account for multiple projectors and their native resolution. Blendy Dome VJ supports 2 to 8 individual outputs which covers the majority of the domes in today's commercial market.
The rim projectors must be placed equidistant from each other, while the zenith (top) projector can be placed anywhere, but preferably on the back. On Blendy Dome VJ, set the number of outputs and resolution, and turn on the Testcard (on the OUTPUT tab). Now make sure all the projectors are symmetrically positioned.
Interconnectivity & Compatibility
You can and you should use Screen Sharing on a laptop to freely move around the dome. You can also use the iPad instead of the laptop which is not ideal, but hey, you have given us a very good idea for the future!
Codecs & Formats
There are standards in fulldome. These sizes depends exclusively on the projector systems you will be using. You can create your blueprint (which here is called Domemaster) in the following sizes:
- 1K: 1024 x 1024 pixels
- 2K: 2048 x 2048 pixels
- 3K: 3072 x 3072 pixels
- 4K: 4096 x 4096 pixels
All the Quicktime codecs are well accepted, however some have better performance than others. The most recommended are:
- ProRes 422 LT
The best format is:
- Quicktime Apple ProRes 422 LT or Quicktime DXV3
- 4096x4096 pixels or 2048x2048 pixels
- 60 FPS or 30 FPS
- Audio 48khz, 16bits, stereo *
Fulldome content media is bound to the Domemaster format. It looks like a fisheye image with a special distortion so the projected image perfectly matches the spherical screen. There are several plugins that can render Domemaster, including our in-house developed application software called Blendy 360 Cam for Cinema 4D. You can use it for free if you already own a Blendy Dome VJ license. It can be purchased separately. For After Effects and Premiere we recommend Mettle.
Sure! Keep an eye on the next VJ University dates and see you there.